GamingFora banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original Codenames is one of the top party games out there in the board game world. The premise is fairly simple, but the play can be quite difficult due to how everyone thinks differently about the meaning of words.

To start, a randomized 5 by 5 grid of words is placed on a table for everyone to see. Different words belong to different teams, but only one "spymaster" from each team knows which words belong to their team. Spymasters take turns giving clues with the goal of leading their teammates towards picking their team's words from the board. Each clue also includes a number that tells the team how many words match the clue. After receiving a clue, the team discusses their thoughts, and finally taps a word to select it as their guess. If they guess the right word for their team, they can continue guessing (max guesses allowed is the number given with the clue + 1). Guessing wrong ends your team’s turn. The team that finds all their words first wins. Also, beware of the assassin! One word on the board is associated with the assassin. Any team that chooses that word instantly loses.

What I find really interesting about Codenames is how it gives you a small window into how other people think. For example, one time I was spymaster and wanted my team to select the words "circle" and "movie" from the game board, so I chose to give the clue "The Ring" with a number 2 (indicating two words matched my clue). One of my good friends got so excited and started bouncing up and down, shouting about "The One Ring" (to rule them all, my precious), and immediately tapped the word "Tower" because he thought my clue was related to Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ ensued, because I could have said The One Ring, but it was still hilarious.

I recommend this game with a minimum of 4 players, but 6 or more is better.

·
Cool Titlests
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
10,213 Posts
I played this one back in previous company. But my reply here is more on encouraging new threads and posts by starting baits about how video games are real games. :mae:

·
Premium Member
LoZ:SS, LoZ:OoT, Scoober Splat!
24 Posts
We've played Codenames a few times online here at VS! :) Love that game.
I find it so interesting how simple the game setup is for how much replayability it has.

·
Super Moderator
66 Posts
so I chose to give the clue "The Ring"....... because I could have said The One Ring
I thought one of the rules in Codemasters was that you can only use one word for your clue. Have I been playing wrong the entire time?

·
Administrator
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is some flexibility in the rules. See page 7 of the rulebook. You can choose to play the way that makes the game the most fun for you and your group. Just be sure to agree to the rules before starting!

·
Premium Member
LoZ:SS, LoZ:OoT, Scoober Splat!
24 Posts
I have never played with anything but strictly one word clues. I'd guess
it's much easier to come up with clues if that rule is a bit flexible :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts